Overview of Exercise Choices


When it comes to the types of exercise I am using, I think of them as falling under one of three categories. Each category has its own purpose and reasoning. These categories are Base Strength, Explosive Strength, and what I am going to call Reactive Strength.

Base Strength exercises should be pretty self explanatory. They are exercises selected and performed to build your foundational strength. I’m fine with these being performed slowly, because I am trying to build a basic foundation of muscular strength, bone density, and healthy joint function through a full range of motion.

Explosive Strength are exercises that are performed explosively. Many people will think of exercises like the Power Clean, or Hang Clean. I also would categorize several exercises some people might call Plyometrics, like the Box Jump.

Reactive Strength is how I like to think of “true” Plyometrics. Plyometrics is used to describe movements with what is termed the Stretch Shortening Cycle (SSC). This is when a muscle is stretched and then subsequently, and rapidly, shortened. I think the Depth Jump epitomizes the SSC. In the Depth Jump, the trainee steps off a box, or other elevated platform, and immediately jumps upon landing.



Currently my Jump Days in the gym look something like this:
Base Strength Warmup
Squats (usually, but sometimes Deadlift)
1-3 sets for about 10 reps each
I’m focusing on warming up the working muscles.

Explosive Strength
Rack Pulls (I prefer these to Cleans)
Some days I go for about 3 heavier sets, but still as explosive as I can go.
Some days I go for 3 lighter faster sets that are much more of jumping with the bar.
Some days I do both.

Reactive Strength
Depth Jumps from one box to another (sometimes off and on the same box)
I do these based on feel as much as anything. Sometimes I go sets of 10, sometimes, more sets of 4-8. The goal is 100 jumps per workout between my explosive reps and my reactive reps.

After all of this, if I am still short of 100 jumps, I might finish with some Box Jumps.

My Saturday Workouts address Base Strength a lot more. I focus more on building strength rather than increasing my jump. I will do Deadlift, Squat, and Calf Raises as my core exercises. I also might throw in some Rack Pulls, but I do these as a Base Strength rather than Explosive Strength movement. As such I sometimes load more than I can move and do Isometric Rack Pulls.


Note (or disclaimer): I am not associated in any way with any of the video producers linked in this blog posting. I just tried to find the simplest most relevant video to show the exercises referrenced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome And An Introduction

Second (Belated) Update